Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Truthiness of Wikiality

Last night, I was working a shift at the temple. I had a cheese curd (still wanting some of those BTW) moment. I was listening to some guy give a talk and he started talking about Wikiality.
Having just written the cheese curd blog, my ears perked up, because right now I'm hyper- sensitive about what I don't know. Guess what? I don't know squat about Wikiality.

I'm a participating member of this human race. I think I need to know about Wikiality.

I race home and google it. Now I know all you young hippster below 30-ers are all out there yawning and rolling your eyes. You've watched the Colbert Report. (Pronounced: Coe-bear Re-Pour) In fact you probably watch it when it runs again for the second time later in the evening, after your parents have gone to bed. But as for Me, and Mine, the hippster doofuses over 50?
Wikiality-less. Well, probably not all of you over 50 are hippster doofuses. I might be the only one, because I watch pretty much only Gilmore Girls Reruns.

The concept of Wikiality derives from the theory of cultural relativity and is grounded on the idea of "truth by consensus" or "popular truth." Wikiality represents "A reality where if enough people agree with a notion, it becomes the truth." "For example, Pluto stopped being a planet when, by a majority vote, astronomers stopped treating Pluto as a planet." It is a term that was born (at the hand Steven Colbert) thru the loins of Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, which is an online source of information that anyone can edit, so theoretically, anyone can edit the truth. Afterward, if enough people agree with any user's edit, or at least accept the Wikipedia version as true, it becomes true.

People People People. Didn't your mother ever read you "The Emperor's new Clothes"?

Hey. Let's get together and change some factoids into truth:

Let's have men feel labor pains instead of women,
Let's have chocolate and lettuce trade calories
Let's have water turn into gasoline
Let's have the sun be pink because my granddaughter loves pink and I'll bet yours does too
Let's have cancer not be deadly, instead, lets tell people they're LUCKY if they get it
Let's have headaches be fun
Let's say in our blogs that I watch only Gilmore Girl reruns on TV.
Let's say death isn't final
Let's say cigarettes won't hurt us
I live in a state of vulerability, wondering and stewing about what I don't know, but now what I do know is that Wikiality is running amok amoungst us. Running amok amoungst Him and Her and Them and You and even (when I wikiality myself) ME. I've just turned it into a verb.

The Wikialitites may tell me this and that, when in truth, the this-es and that-es that the Wiki's tell me may be nothing more than something born of Wikiality. And thus I am forced to wallow in truthiness. Did you get that??? TRUTHINESS
I'm in my corner quivering.
And my nose is running.




Thank goodness, once again, for this man, one of my heros:

President Thomas S. Monson. Slayer of Wikiality and devour-er of Modern Day truthiness

12 comments:

Taryn said...

I'm with you on all your wikiality proposals, save the one about cigarettes not being dangerous. They're gross. If they weren't dangerous even MORE people would smoke them.

Actually, now that I think about it, if they weren't dangerous, maybe fewer teenagers would pick them up. They'd be the new prop of the standard prude. I guess you're onto something after all....

Viva les gilmore girls! I want to live in Stars Hollow!

Annie said...

Almost all of my dreams take place in Stars Hollow. Different places. Patty's. Luke's. The gazebo. And after I saw the episode where Kirk debuts his film where he dances to that Grandmaster Flash song, he was always in the background of everything, just dancing.

Ok, not really, but my dreams DO take place in Stars Hollow a lot.

Annie said...

Also in my dreams, I'm usually smoking, which is odd because I've never even laid a finger on a ciggy. Ok, enough.

MOMMACITA said...

Oh, I do miss the Hollow. Loreli and Rory are still living their lives somewhere, right? We just can't see them, right?

Debbie said...

This is good talk material. Think I will borrow it. Good YW stuff.

Beth said...

Don't worry my dear Auntie Mary, those of us in our thirties are often just as techno-clueless as the older peeps. I appreciate your quest for knowledge as it educates myself as well. Also, I believe that in heaven they have a room that specifically runs Gilmore Girls in a continuous loop. I'll meet you in there. I'll bring the popcorn, you bring the chocolate. Luke and Lorelai forever!

Kasey said...

Even those in their 28's. I find myself much of the time in my little homebound bubble and miss some things going on outside my front door. Sometimes I think it's a good thing, but I know it's a bad thing. I just really want to shelter my sweet babies from the big bad wolf of the outside world! I really want to slip into Stars Hollow and never come out!

MOMMACITA said...

If I lived in Stars Hollow, I wouldn't miss Tim as much, because Kirk would watch out for me, a single widow lady, in his golf cart.

Kasey said...

True that Auntie Mary! Kirk is the man!

Kurt & Shawn said...

Stars Hollow has become a wikiality and we are all drinking the coolaid. I just wish I wouldn't care that Loreli has taught Rory to sleep around but make sure you have TRUE feelings for him and he is NOT married. Again, the morality of our society is a wikiality but I have to say, I know Kirk is alive and well. He is the man who can do and knows everything and will most definitly look after Mommacita when she moves there this fall!!

MOMMACITA said...

Shawn, o wise one that you are, I salute your sniffing out the wikiality. I totally concure, the morality of our society is a wikiality. You ARE the favorite Auntie!

Carolyn said...

If you go to Pennsylvania this week, I'm pretty sure you'd bump into Rory. The last I heard, she was covering the Obama campaign for an online newspaper.

I'm really glad to learn this word "wikiality" because it gives me a word to describe what's going on in the world of IMDB (internet movie database). You know how back in the day you'd watch a movie and recognize an actor from somewhere and just couldn't remember where? So you'd keep interrupting your husband by asking, "Where a have we seen him before?" which would cause a bit of unrest in the movie-watching experience? Well, now you can just pause your DVD and jump on IMDB and find out all the movies every actor has appeared in, or plans to appear in, and the six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon and what have you. ... But come to find out, the IMDB is subject to the truthiness of wikiality. It does help out in 95% of the cases, but the world of readers can enter in any factoids they want to, which may or may not be fact. ... Just like me here writing this hugely long comment.

Sorry for taking so much space, Mommacita. How rude of me, especially since I just came out of the shadows. I'll try to be more to the point in the future.

p.s. Came here from Taryn's blog and haven't seen you since the blessed Taryn & Jason day. It is a kick to read what's going on in your head.