Friday, April 4, 2008

Get out the Kleenix, it's April 6th

Today is the Tim-o-tee's birthday. sigh. I just love that guy, and not a day goes by that I don't miss or think of him. Several times. Thanks be to Margaret, his mom, for giving him life and nurturing all that was good in him. I'm raising my glass (of sparkling cider) to all the things I love about him:


His sparkling good looks and scintillating personality. (His description BTW)
His 180 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal. (His description BTW)
The seal laugh (it has been passed on to all my boys)
Those soft green eyes
Beautiful hands (really beautiful hands)


Everything was always fun
Something was always funny
We laughed every single day


Wise wise wise
Down to earth. He was as comfortable as an old shoe
Organized. His paper clips were separated into small, medium, and large
Wasn't outwardly annoyed with living with someone who's paperclips were jumbled all together


Always kissed me hello, always kissed me goodbye, and always kissed me whenever else he could get away with it

Knew the answer to any gospel question
Was a friend to anyone
Was particularly fond of holding my hand


Could flare his nostrils. Taught my children to flare. I'm the only non flarer. I'm more than OK with that


Loved his Athletic self
At Family Home Evening, had the family filling out these during March Madness

Did the Superiority Dance if his bracket was the most correct. Sort of flaunted it.

Was a rabid BYU fan.

Played tennis or Basketball every day at noon, so his sports didn't take up family time
He had a year round tan he was able to aquire, despite living in a rainy place, from the tennis at noon
He had a quirkey fondness for his year round tan from the tennis at noon. Oh, you better believe that there was some vainity there

Honest and respected lawyer. He returned all his phone calls. He had a court appointed client in prison send him a birthday card.
Loved to say "Hot Chillies" (a brand name for long underwear) over and over to annoy me when he was putting on his Hot Chillies to go skiing. This happened every single time. There was emphasis on the hot. The first time he did it, I told him he was saying the words Hot Chillies a little too often and doing that made him kind of weird and creepy. He lit up like a Christmas Tree, stared directly into my eyes and whispered Hot Chillies in a gutteral voice. This ritual proceeded every stinking time he ever pulled those Hot Chillies out of the drawer. Again and Again with the Hot Chilies. David inherited the Hot Chillies and I've heard the words Hot Chillies come out of his mouth more than once. May the legacy continue, but only if it takes place in someone else's house.

Loved his Family in word and deed
Always served willingly
Fearless missionary
Coached 100s of games for 100s of years

Went to his High School graduation with a wire in his tassel so it stood straight up.
Listened to his big brother Tom on his high school graduation day
Loved his sibilings and mother with intense loyalty
He always made me feel like I was the most important person in the room
When he was a 21 year old baby, he engraved on my wedding ring, "Your number 1 always". He spelled you're your. I didn't notice until after he died. I don't know why, but I was just so glad it was spelled 'your'. It made it feel like he had really been here. There wasn't a minute that went by that that inscription didn't feel true for me. This was a man that knew the logistics of how to love someone, and taught us all how to do it better.

Cheers and Happy Birthday to my Tim-o-tee. I will always and forever love you. Earth life was not nearly enough time. Thank goodness for that eternity thing.

16 comments:

Kris "to the" Ten said...

Mary, that was the sweetest tribute. He is and was a GREAT man. Just remember the "East Lake" incident and how ticked off he was.This will surely bring an instant smile to your face.

And your boys definetly are "lil Tim's." I tell Lisa how lucky she is all the time. Cheers to you both!!!

MOMMACITA said...

You're right. I'm laughing as we speak

Emily said...

I have only the fondess memories of your great husband. As a child I remember him as being a fun carefree dad, as a teenager I remember him being a really really funny guy, and as an adult Tim was an inspiration to me. Religiously and for his determination, he was inspiring. I miss him greatly and am sadened that he had to leave this earth so early in life. But overall I feel blessed to have known him. He was, and I'm sure, still is great! (but you already knew that)

MOMMACITA said...

Thanks Em

Shalyse said...

I love that man too...ALWAYS smiling! and he was the greatest Bishop too, alwalys had candy at the desk! :-) You are a lucky lady to be sealed to him! and I'd say he's pretty dang lucky too! you two are perfect for eachother. He's awesome!

Annie said...

Yep, the Kleenexes are out. Tim, Tim, the golden boy. I think about him all the time and miss him. My Dad only did the seal laugh with him.

My Dad misspelled the inscription on my Mom's ring, too. Maybe that's what Tom told Tim to do on graduation day?

I watched like 15 minutes of the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night with the girls and couldn't stop thinking that Charlie could have been the offspring of Tim and Mary. All except the hair...the color is right but the texture is way too coarse. And that haircut wouldn't stand a chance.

MOMMACITA said...

I'm going right out to rent the original Charlie today.

As for Tim and Tom....how did those two boys ever graduate? My guess is they talked girls into writing all of their papers for them. And when it came crunch time, the time where they were going to have their writings engraved for ever and ever, well, all we can deduce is that you can make your choices but you can't choose your consequences.

Dehner Family said...

I went to your blog to get my daily laugh - not cry :)
That was so special. I love your undying devotion for your nostril flaring man.
I remember many years ago being at dinner with the Dehners and Shawn asked me to flare my nose - when I did she said, "Okay, you can be one of us".

Beth said...

Tears are streaming while I am smiling. So many memories and so much laughter. Of course the Garlocks are always good for a laugh, regardless of the situation. That's why you fit right in Mary. I loved the tribute.

MOMMACITA said...

Shawn, you have cutness in your family, you know?

Taryn said...

Hooray for Uncle Tim! I really miss that guy. Your tribute is so so moving, and I'm so glad that you two found each other.

BTW, one of my more embarrassing moments as a teenager (and there are SO many!) happened with your funny husband. It was the year we reunioned at the beach in NC, but everyone came to our house in VA first, so we had a house full of G-locks for a few days. One afternoon while everyone was hanging out at the house, I saw my brother Marc standing at the top of the stairs in the doorway of my parents' bedroom. He was wearing a blue bathing suit. I thought it would be really funny to sneak up the stairs and pinch his bottom. When he turned around, it was not my brother Marc. It was my Uncle Tim. If I could have willed the earth to swallow me whole in that moment, I would have.

MOMMACITA said...

Not your fault Taryn. You were thrown off by the tan. And I'm sure he thought you were adorable, as he always did.

Kristen said...

I am rolling the emotional gammit with you - snorting water one minute. crying it the next. How awesome to have the time with him you had and not fair that's all you had in this life - you seem like a perfect pair.

I know it's not about me, but my Dad is celebrating his 10 year anniversary for his new liver next Thursday... and this post brings it home again how lucky we are he's had these past 10 years.

MOMMACITA said...

I'm always estatic when I hear a survival story!!!!!! Bless your dad and his new 10 year old liver!

Kasey said...

Happy birthday Uncle Tim!

Debbie said...

I'm hoping he schooled Shawna's baby with the do's and don'ts of Garlockness. He is the master--you know. ♥♥♥