Tuesday, August 19, 2008

M.O.C.M

Today I watched an episode of "Baby Story"

This is a show that has a camera follow an expectant mother around thru the later stages of pregnancy and the birth process. The results are always positive and a baby is always born, and the mother can never ever ever believe it is true.

I was hoping that I would get some M.O.C.M (Mother of the cute Mother) pointers on that show. There were none. I'm at a loss. How about all of you out there? Got Tips? I need to know my boundaries. I might end up sending text messages to the person that puts those nasty drops in a newborn's eyes.

I have never been a M.O.C.M. before. I've been a mom, I've been a M.O.C.D (Mother of the cute Dad) before, and I've been a C.B.B.M.C. (child being born, maybe cute) although obviously I can't remember that. Here are a few questions I might have.

How do I know when to back off, aka shut my mouth?

What if I can't remember what you do with a brand new baby?

What do new mothers want, need, do?

Do son in laws want you around piping up in that butinsky mother in law voice?

If I get yelled at, will I know it is hormones, or will I want to put her in time out and take away her cell phone?

Are there new products that make having a newborn easier?

What are those?

What should I be stocking up on?

How often and what will she eat? (new mother)

Will she break down on me?

Then what?

Obviously some of my readers (Paul in the Caribbean) will not be able to answer any of these questions except for the one about the irritating mother-in-law voice. But the rest of you out there, I've never asked for much of you. Oh, yes, I've grovelled in an unseemly fashion for a comment hear and there, but I've never asked out of real human need. So this is your time, your one moment in time. Hum a little Celine Dione in your head to get yourself going and then help the Mommacita. You must.

PS. I know you thought I might be done with it, but I may have to do some more Olympic Texting because of the Synchronized Swimming. I hear there's controversy. And c'mon. It's synchronized swimming



PS. I still haven't opened my mail just so you know.

14 comments:

Annie said...

SLEEP. New mothers need SLEEP.

Kristen said...

You're asking for trouble with this one...I'm a doula you know...

Anyway....agree with Annie...sleep. But also food. Let her take care of her baby, only give advice when she asks for it, and do some stealthy cleaning and cooking for her without a thank you. The stealthy part is important because she won't want to know she's lacking in those laundry, food, cleaning skills.... it will just magically appear done and in her fog it will seem like it never needed to be done, or that maybe she did it already?

But she will thank you later, I promise. :)

Emily said...

You will know when to shut up because you are close with your daughter, plus she'll give you the look.
Taking care of a newborn is just like riding a bike. You don't need a helmet but it just comes back to you, it's au natural.
New moms want to hold their baby, sleep, and nothing else. Just let her be and do everything else for her.
If you are bugging Matt he is too kind to say anything. Again, you will get the look from Leigh.
There are a ton of new and cool products for mom and baby. My current favorite is the hooter hider (self explanitory).
Stock up on all her favorite foods and meals. Freeze meals for times when there is no time.
While preggers she will eat every two hours, post baby she will eat like a normal person but add in a lot of snacks.
There will be times when she will break down, it's just the stress and hormones of it all. Be patient, be a saint and you will be rewarded with the cutest man child alive (it can be the cutest because I have yet to have one).
Good luck!
PS. Can I throw the baby shower instead of some lady 2nd warder?

MOMMACITA said...

Thank you thank you keep 'em coming!

Matt said...

Who knows?!?! I sure don't. We're both winging it. I think now that I have an upgraded craddle, everything will work out. Thanks MOCM

MOMMACITA said...

Invaluable! You are all professionals and I have gratitude. thank you! Keep them coming.

And I'm hoping all I get is a look emily. And yes. You have priority over a 2nd ward lady

MOMD! said...

No other advise needed other than Kristen's. Print it out and read frequently - and enjoy! Remind her that you can't spoil a baby by loving him - hold him as much as she wants because the time goes so quickly. All too soon he won't want to be held ... he will be running down a basketball court and doing his own thing.

Kasey said...

You'll be fine! And if your daughter is anything like me, she'll let ya know! But I agree with Annie! And I agree with Kristin. Sleep and food and maybe a back rub. =)
I'm so excited for you guys!

e. said...

Mary - (Nika showed my your blog and I laughed my chubby little butt off, so I'm glad I can write something to you. Again, the great part of blogging is you can pretend like everyone wants to hear your opinion and that they are just waiting to see what you will write next. Totally self absorbed - I'm for it.)

Anyway...Having had three babies, and having a mother myself - I know absolutely nothing that will definately help Leigh.

Each girl is so different, some want to stay in, some want to go out. Some want to hold their babies, others want to sleep, yet others want to hold their baby and sleep.

You are a smart girl and raised amazing kids and you are going to know what to do to mother her now.

In the words of the poet "If everybody sleeps, eats, and poops it's a good day" - Oh wait, those are my words. oops.

Congrats, on a new baby. They just smell so good don't they?

Endre (Ecker)

yomama said...

Very clever way to garner comments.
My top two pieces of advice and I'm totally serious both literally and metaphorically, are 1) no matter how you hold the baby, always leave one hand available to hold an Italian soda and 2) of course, always wear an apron

Dehner Family said...

Give that little baby lots and lots of kisses... Grandma kisses are the BEST!

Beth said...

I say, help keep the house clean. Do some laundry. Let the cute new mommy sleep and cry as much as she needs. Keep the food coming and smooch on and smell the baby every other second of the day (or at least every possible moment that presents itself).

csotutu said...

My advice-bring a laptop so you can blog, because waiting for the baby to come out can be a long process. Also, a nice crisp apple to munch when your daughter demands silence. They have these things called epidurals that are so unfair to those who did it the natural way because the doctor has to tell them when they are having a contraction.

Cort, Kimi, Metz and Chase said...

Hi, I'm Kimi one of Leigh's friends from the island . . .for that baby boy . . . pampers swaddlers, newborn and size one. They are magical for baby boys and no leaks. Oh and get that girl a pedicure before the birth all she'll see are her feet during that great time so make them pretty. Give her a squeeze from me!