Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Things I May or May Not Have Enjoyed Seeing in the Dental School Waiting Room Today

I told you I was BACK. You didn't believe me. But you should have because Mommacita's endless dribble is BACK.

So.

Today, while other folks had a ticket to an inauguration, I had a ticket to the Dental school. Bless my heart. My dentist kept me waiting, and it's not the first time in 26 years I've waited for him. OK. Not that true, because he has been annoyingly on time most of his life. Except for today. While I was sitting in the waiting area, (where I'm sort of suspicious that there might be head lice on my chair), I saw some things that were blog worthy.

Oh Share SHARE Mommactia I can hear you say. In fact, I think I hear you being quite enthusiastic about me sharing my day with you. And it's quite flattering I might add.

So. Let's share.

Number 1:



OK. I know you are not fooled by the reenactor above. But trust me. I saw this dude for reals. It was not a costume on a halloween website, and trust me, there was hair involved. And some major jiggling. Not that I don't jiggle now and again, but I wouldn't let my jiggling show in a Dental School. I'm too klassy for that. Stop judging. If you had a blog, you would be forced to purge on it too.




Number 2, because I remembered that you just love little kittie pictures:




This is also a reenactor. A reenactor of a couple, a man and a wife. who were sitting on the same, hard, maybe lice infested chairs that I was sitting in. But they were totally asleep. With their spines and heads totally erect. BOTH of them. Side by side. Not touching. Stiff as a board. It was pretty incredible really. Maybe you had to be there.




Number 3


OK. This time the picture is a reenactor. There was this guy there that I did one of those double takes on. He was Sidney Poitier in the flesh. It really might have been him and you know it. Because maybe his son or daughter is in dental school too. And maybe he's a really good parent too. And maybe Sidney Poitier would do anything, ANYTHING, to help his son or daughter. Like allowing them to put sharp and pointy things in his mouth and wiggle them (the sharp and pointy things) back and forth. I have always loved that Sidney Poitier, but now, I so totally respect and admire him. We're sharing a wave length, and nobody can take that away.

Oh. Yeah. That's right. Mommcita's dribble is back and now she's taken away 3 minutes of your life you'll never get back.


Number 4:


I saw a girl in pink keds and she looked really cute in them. And I said to myself: "I haven't seen pink keds in a long time and dang if they aren't the cutes."

Number 5:


This one is actually an imaginary reenactment. The Dental School had this little laptop set up on a chair (that may or may not have had lice on it) in the front of the waiting room and it was showing the inauguration of our 44th President, Barack Obama, the first African American President ever. Well, I use the term "showing" quite loosely. The image on the screen was blurred and frozen, and so we (and when I say we, I mean me, Sidney Poitier, and the girl in the pink keds because we were the only ones in a waiting room of about 50 people who were close enough to even know the laptop was there. And plugged in.)
As I was saying, "we" just had to imagine what was going on. But I heard it. I heard history being made. And there was a picture of Nancy Peloski frozen on the screen the whole time so that made it even specialer. Actually, I'm imagining that it was Nancy Peloski. I couldn't really tell. I could tell the person was female. So I guess it could have been Hillary. Or Michelle. Or Maleah or Sasha. Or Laura Bush. Was she there?
So a Big Ol' THANK YOU to the Duber's Dental School, for making the effort so that I, along with Mr. Poitier and pink ked girl, could witness this historic occasion. er, uh, hear it. er, uh, imagine it.
I will never forget what I imagined happened, on this historic day, with Sidney Poitier in the room by my side.

6 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

It was probably Dianne Feinstein, Senator of CA, you were seeing frozen on that screen, as she proudly played the part of MC for the event. The Californians were well represented. As you may have heard, another Californian spoke. He gave the invocation, actually. A blonde pastor from Lake Forest, which is next door neighbor to Irvine. His prayer was loooong. I think the only person who kept their eyes closed the whole time was Barack and you could tell he was struggling. This pastor reminded me of a guy who used to give 10 minute long prayers in my ward growing up. He'd get up to the podium, close his eyes and I swear you could hear a tiny symphony of beeps--people starting their timers on their digital watches just so they could be like "Dude! That one was 11 minutes and 24 seconds!"

Anonymous said...

Yesterday we got a new president?! Awe man! I was just concentrating on my digestive system all day and missed it.
I even had my biggest diaper...I won't go into details, but it was messy.
Well, there you have it...Jan 20th... a day of dentists, presidents and diapers. I love you grandma!

leigh said...

I can't believe you only have two comments so far on this hilarious post.
You are so funny. Glad to see you're blogging again mom.

jakeandlacey said...

Pink Keds... that reminds me of Pam on The Office. Was she Pam-like? Sorry about the possibly lice infested chairs... I always worry about getting lice when I go to the movies and they have the seats with the tall backs so its almost impossible not to share the same head space/lice space as the million other people who have sat there before you... ugghh. Gross.

Beth said...

Auntie Mommacita. I am so glad that all of those cute grandbabies have come and that you are now back to blogging for those of us who like to waste large amounts of time reading entertaining posts like this one. Happy, happy day.

Carolyn said...

"I will never forget what I imagined happened, on this historic day, with Sidney Poitier in the room by my side."

This final sentence had me smiling a big wide smile, the kind of smile that makes my teeth show and my lips disappear entirely, which is not a flattering look for me, but no one was here to see it so I just wanted to tell you that you got me to smile THAT BIG.

Glad you are back, Mommacita.

(As I am about to publish this, my word verification word is "spuscle" which seems to be appropriate for this post: Either a sound one might make while in a dentist's chair, or the sound lice might make when getting squished in that nasty way I imagine head lice getting squished.)