Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK , I'm BACK

I'm back. I'm back! I'M BACK I'M BACK I'M BACK!

No, I didn't say I'M BLACK, I said I'M BACK!!

So now that we've established that I'M BACK, but not BLACK, let's do some Martin Luther King Celebratin'.

I'm celebrating by being BACK . So I asked my kids how they were celebrating today, this federal holiday.......

Jaqueostinky said he was going celebrate today by shaking the hand of his favorite African American. Clever, AND timely.

Dubers said he and the Lars always watch a movie that celebrates an African American in some way. Clever, timely, AND fun.

When Schneebes was in college, she and her roommates would celebrate Black History by covering their living room walls with xeroxed pictures of famous African Americans. You know, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Booker T. Washington. All the greats. And they would throw in a celebrity or two...The one I remember distinctly was this young man who pittied po' fools:




Now you younger folks may not remember, but Mr. T. was pretty big stuff in his hay day because of his pittying po' fools. And his gold chains, which were mighty popular with the ladies and gents. In fact. If Mr. T. were big stuff today, he'd have a jewelry line on QVC and you all would be wearing Mr. T gulden accessories. No, I didn't misspell golden. Gulden is my made up word for things that are fake golden. It's kind of a play on the word 'gullible' and the word 'golden'. A play on words that I'm feeling is pretty clever right about now because I made it up right this second as I was typing along. But tomorrow I'm probably going to look at it and figure out that it is pretty stupid.

Anyway, back in the day, Mr T was so big that he was honored with one of these







And to put it in perspective for you, I found this. This proves to you youngsters the hugeness of Mr. T











Yeah. It kind of makes you hold your breath and evaluate yourself and your country a little, doesn't it?



I didn't talk to Mitch about what he was going to do today. So I'll have to just share a little story that is in keeping with the day. In Middle School he kept coming home and telling me about his girl friend. I would quickly retort that he was too little for a girlfriend. Then the next day He come home would tell me more about his girl friend. By the way, every time I would tell him he was too little. But apparently he wasn't because he had this girlfriend. That I denied. Because he was too little.



Anywho, I don't remember the girl's name at the moment. Lets say it was Chelsea. So I keep hearing about this Chelsea. Chelsea this and Chelsea that. Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea. A month later I go to a choir concert and they announce that Chelsea, Mitch's ChelseaChelseaChelsea, is singing a solo. I'm all Whoa... this is my big break....I'm certainly going to be checking out this girl that isn't my son's girlfriend as soon as she sings her big solo. So, as soon as it was little Miss ChelseaChelseaChelsea's turn to sing, I watched a beautiful little African American girl walk up to the microphone and belts out her number. I thought to myself: With all the details that I've heard of ChelseaChelseaChelsea in the past month, wouldn't African American be one of the details that might have been included in the description? Along with brown eyes and pretty smile? Is it me?

And thus we easily conclude on this holiday for Martin Luther King:

Even in middle school, LOVE indeed KNOWS NO COLOR.






You know little kittie pictures are your favorite.







So Martin Luther King, wherever you are, thank you for helping our world be a better place. Thank you for the truths you taught and the way you taught them. The world is certainly a better place because of you. And you did it without blogging. Pretty dern fabulous.

Happy Martin Luther King Day Everyone! Now go out there and make the world a better place.

I'm BACK!!





P.S.
I know you were wondering about Sawyer Timothy.
He is sleeping for MLK Day. And with beautiful precision I might add.
P.S.S
I realize that I am not making the world a better place by putting my beautiful beautiful grandson and a Brittney Chia Head in the same post.

5 comments:

Glo said...

Obama would have been so proud of mitch's interracial dating so early on

Glo said...

this is mitch...i did talk to you on the phone on mlk day! so you could have asked me what i did!

MOMMACITA said...

Phone call was post blog Mitchieboy

Jenn said...

Hey Mary! Sawyer is SO cute and I'm so happy for David and Lisa! Keep the pics coming!

Anonymous said...

Sawyers beauty (and I mean that in the most manliness of ways) overcomes any Brittany ughs.
And on your cleverness of gulden - I like it and I have fairly high standards of cleverness.
I am positive that you totally amuse yourself as much as you amuse the rest of us with your blogging. A very good reason to keep it up and perhaps a little more often now that your tre have arrived and you can settle back down into your comfy computer chair for hours at a time if you wish.
You really need a laptop so you could blog AND watch TV at the same time. Bet we'd be getting more posts.
Maybe I'm projecting? Anything that I can do while I watch TV quickly becomes my favorite thing to do. It's sad really.
See how I turned this comment into about me? That's really sad too really.