Saturday, March 21, 2009

Economy Eblonomy Part III

Today, while I was visiting a 6 year old boy (whom I am teaching at church), his sister came from her bedroom decked out in one of these

She stood between him and I, in her fancy smancy gown, with one of the shoulders slipping down to her elbow, swishing from side to side, grinning from ear to ear, waiting for me to notice the finery. "I'm going to a birthday party!!" she finally blurted out. Her brother put his hands over his eyes.


I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I just want to say, it's OK for you to wear sparkly costumes if you are 3. Especially if there is a party involved. Especially if your older brother is getting all the attention right at the moment. And Especially if Economy Eblonomy is making me not buy plane tickets to see these two.

Single tear.

Oh heck. Why be strong? Buckets and Buckets and BUCKET LOADS of tears.

PS English Teachers who belong to my family, (and you know who you are) what is the rule for who and whom? I think I don't know.

6 comments:

Taryn said...

Re who/whom: I've never understood them either. Honestly, I think in 20 years the word whom will have been eliminated from the language anyway, so why bother learning it? Of course, if I use that logic, I could also say why bother with capital letters, apostrophes (unless they *shouldn't* be there, in which case they are abundant), and spelling out words completely. Texting has already murdered those conventions anyway. Sigh.

MOMMACITA said...

Thank you family member who or whom is an English teacher.

Jenny said...

Oh, dry your tears dear Grandma! The little princesses miss you more, I'm sure.

[AnnieR] said...

Those little princesses are kee-yoo-tees!

[AnnieR] said...

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

????

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Endre's and I don't know who you are yet, but you are HILARIOUS, even at almost 100! I wasn't going to comment until I knew for sure who you were, but then I heard (read) the siren call of "any English majors out there...?" and I couldn't resist.

The best way I know to figure out whether to use "who" or "whom" is to see if you can rearrange the sentence clause, and if so, does "he" or "him" sound better? If it's "he," then use "who." If it's "him," then "whom" is your man. Like:
I wonder who/whom she means.
She means him. -->whom
I wonder who/whom likes kitties.
He likes kitties. --> who

Or, in the language of grammar, "who" is the subject of the subordinate clause, and "whom" is the direct object of it.

But as you pointed out, artistic license is the name of the game, and when someone is as funny as you are, you can do what you want.
Sorry for spying on your blog--it was the first time.