Monday, March 9, 2009

Economy Eblonomy part II

I might tire of this economy themed post scheme before it's time. Maybe it's that I'm tired of the economy. And I heard today that Economy Eblonomy is going to be around until 2012. Knife through the heart.
But I must press on. I'm trying to regroup, rethink. In fact, today I consulted the Mommacita Think Tank For Ideas On How to Save Cash. The Mommacita Think Tank was recently formed (10:00 this morning) and is made up of a volunteer who was available once a gun was put to her head.

Because you're craving more tips from the tip list, here you go.



Economic Tip List ~ Tip Number 2


"Eat what is already in your cupboard"






FYI, I kind of stopped eating cereal in the mornings, in favor of a more protein based meal to start out my day.

Just so you know, back in the day, when there were 4 kids and an athletic man living here, I couldn't keep food on the shelves. Now that everyone has gone, I have become labeled by my kids as that toothless shifty eyed lady who likes to have outdated food everywhere in her house (and since she likes to have outdated food in her house you better be on guard every single second you are with her because she is plotting to make you eat it and kill you and your loved ones).

They all think they are getting away with checking the dates on the food when I'm not looking, but I'm here to tell you they're NOT getting away with it. I see them doing it. I live in fear of them finding outdated food in my house because, one, they mock me for it, and two, it's embarrassing. So when they come to visit, or STAY, I go out of my way to put food with a "good until 2011" stamp on it right out there on the front of the shelf. And then I hope, they don't look beyond the first row.

Anyway, because of this, and because for the last 30 years I got in the habit of buying 2 or 3 of something when something was on sale, I might have too much food.

So I just inventoried the cereal, because while I don't eat cereal anymore, apparently I still buy it. Because you never know when I might start eating it again. This is what I found:

Kelloggs Rice Krispies

Kelloggs Frosted Mini Wheats

Wheat Chex

2 boxes of Post spoon sized Shredded Wheat

Post spoon sized Shredded Wheat 'N' Bran

Kashi Go Lean

Kashi 7 whole grain Puffs

Quaker regular oatmeal packets

Quaker Fruit and Cream Oatmeal Packets

a Giant box of Life

Trader Joe's Oatmeal Complete packets

Trader Joe's Shredded Bite Sized Wheats

Trader Joe's Twigs, Flakes and Clusters

Trader Joes Triple Nut and Flakes reduced Sugar Cereal

Trader Joe's Organic High Fiber O's

(My findings made me uber cranky by the way.)

In case you didn't count what's up in that list, let me inform: there are 16 boxes of cereal up there. So I'm going to start eating up that cereal. Even if I don't like it. I KNOW. Character building. And judging from the high fiber content of most of it, I may not have time to post tomorrow.

To my kids: if you find me dead because I willfully ate cereal with a 2008 date on it, then buy the cheapest coffin you can find and bury me next to your dad.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is A LOT of cereal. We're lucky if we have one or two boxes in our house.

MOMMACITA said...

I have a problem.

Beth said...

My favorite kind of house is one with many boxes of cereal. If I could, I would be over in a second to help you eat some of that cereal. Also, my mother is very well known for having (and serving) many expired items around the house as well. As she says, "you haven't died yet have you?"

leigh said...

Mom, I'm dying!!! I'm dying BECAUSE there is no exaggeration to this post at all. HAHA. SO Funny. Although to give you some credit, I think I bought some of those fiber-ee cereals while I was living with you. Those were the days. Now our cereal costs about six dollars a box.

Kristen said...

cereal's one of the few things that don't stand a chance sticking around in our house. Now at my mom's she has a pantry stocked with things like: 4 jars of horseradish! 6 jars of green olives! 22 cans of cream of mushroom soup! 14 cans of pumpkin pie filling!

There's only 2 of them. How long does it take to use 22 cans of cream of mushroom soup? Seriously - what's up with that????

Limon said...

My grandmother used to make me strawberries and cream with sour milk and cinnamon toast with moldy bread. It was gross. I had to sneak into the bathroom to flush it down the toilet while she wasn't looking. This is true. Also, she had suffered a stroke and passed away shortly thereafter. So she's wasn't really like you and she deserved to have people pretend her food was still good.

Limon said...

And I love cereal, too, so just send it on down here.

Carolyn said...

I'm not surprised that you have a bunch of Trader Joe's items. There's something about that store that says "Buy more. Buy more. You never know when you'll be here again!" At least that's what I hear, because there is no Trader Joe's where I live. I've had at least 6 jars of Trader Joe's jam in my basement for 3 years because one never wants to run out of Trader Joe's jam.

Debbie said...

Mike would live a happy man in your pantry.

e. said...

Now you know how those poor Israelites with the constant manna felt. Hey, maybe manna was just left over Frosted Flakes.