Thursday, September 11, 2008

I am So Beautiful. To Me.

I Looooooooooooove hair appointments.


I just love them. I love everything about them. Except smelling someone else's perm.


Anyway, I love hair appointments because as my friend Carol says, they are a day of beauty. Let me repeat for emphasis: A day of beauty. Everything is beautiful on a day of beauty. A day where I don't have to lift a finger. For 1 1/2 hours at least. Which is quite beautiful. All I do is sit there, with an empty head, in the comfy comfy chair, wearing a leopard print cape (which, technically is not part of the beauty part because I'm not necessarily one of those animal print gals:





.... but just to be honest I do own a couple of animal print things (reading glasses that were $5, and a shirt that goes with my brown skirt, and the inside of a couple of handbags) but I do not consider myself animal printish per say so animal print cannot be included in my idea of a day of beauty but because Cindy who does my hair is wild about the animal print jaunrah (sp) I wear the cape to be polite which is a form of beauty in and of itself) and after I am draped in animal print out of charity and love I take out my earrings and then someone transforms me. I become transformered. Into more than meets the eye. Now THAT's a beautiful thing.

I get to sit there and talk to my girl Cindy, who I have gone to for 26 years which is pretty beautiful and she paints my hair with an industrial strength blonding substance and wraps it in foil and I look at myself in the mirror and think: Hmmm, you're Avaunt Guard Beautiful right at this moment Mommacita. I decided to use the term Avaunt Guard after watching Project Runway last night. Which is about beauty. Some what.

And then, the most beautiful thing ever happens. I get to sit under the dryer for about 25 minutes and she brings me a bottle of cold water right out of the frig and I read and I drink the cold water and the warm dryer hums and I can't hear anything but the lullaby of the dryer. I go into a beautiful Mommacita world under there. I remember when my kids were little it was even more beautiful than it is now because of the lullaby part. And the quiet part. And the Mommacita world part. Oh heck. I still love it, kids or no.

And then I get my hair shampooed with a bit of a head rub (beautiful) and Cindy pretends to wax my non existent eyebrows and doesn't charge me which makes me feel included with the rest of the humans on this planet whose parents gave them eyebrows (which is someone showing charity and not judging you for genetic defects and that is quite beautiful) and then I get my head wrapped in a leopard towel which is really quite luxurious as towels go and I go to my seat and have all my hair cut so it will be perky and manageable for the next 4 weeks (beautiful!) And I look on the floor at my cut off hair and feel so happy that it's there and not on my head because my bangs were starting to hang in my eyes and make me nutso. Are you going to make me say that an unnutso Mommacita is beautiful? Because we all know she is.

And then someone besides me blows my hair dry and fluffs it up into my over 50 Mommacita Afro and sprays something on my hair that smells like sweet sweet grapefruit and then the leopard cape comes off (beautiful because remember I'm not animal print per say) and I look in the mirror and think now I am blonde again (so childlike, so beautiful) and then I pay and pick up my still cold bottle of water which is still half full and drink it while I run my errands on the way home. A free cold bottle of water for errands. Pretty beautiful.

I'm thinking this blog is making you wish it was your day of beauty right now. Or quite possibly, like pretzels, it's making you thirsty.

5 comments:

leigh said...

You better leave the house soon. You're going to to late for your appointment.
with love,
your roommate
ps - all of my communication with you will now be through blog comments
pss - we may need some more milk soon.

Beth said...

You are preaching truthful words Mommacita. There is absolutely nothing better in the world that a hair appointment. All that freshly blonded hair (bye, bye roots and ugly mousy and greying color), all coiffed up and looking pretty. My favorite is the scalp massage. I don't like massages, but the scalp, that is entirely different. That takes me to a heavenly place. I am calling for an appointment now.

MOMD! said...

I had NO idea you didn't have eye brows!! I thought I was the only one in the WHOLE world with that genetic flaw! ... and it didn't come with chemo! I Never have had them. As for your day of beauty ... oh, I can hardly wait for my hair - especially my BANGS to get long enough for a hair cut! In fact, I can hardly wait until they get long enough not to resemble some kind of horrible hair tragedy. I swear the hair fairy comes in nightly and cuts them shorter and shorter as I sleep. Along with my no eye brows, I was cursed with the highest forehead of all time ... and without the security of my bangs I don't even want to set foot out into the world. It was almost better when the head was totally bald ... then no bangs was just part of the look ... but now?? A really really bad bang cut! Pray they will grow ... someday!

Debbie said...

My day was spent teaching a class full of 12 year olds all about different "genres" for their reading pleasure---all of which was totally ignored by most of them. Quite gratifying to say the least. But because of this most excellent lesson I planned, that was totally ignored, I know how to spell---genre. Glad you had a happy hair day!! Sounds like you will look just right when that grandbaby boy arrives----

Oh happy day!!

Aaron + Kayti said...

ok i really have no idea how per say i got to your blog, but i love it. i love reading your stories. i love laughing at your satire. i love relating to your passionate dislike for animal print.

all i have to say is that my auntie ketti is one lucky gal to have you as a best friend.