Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Moment of Silence for Tim and his Bogus Halo


Well kids, I'm pumped up to do my thing on this blog again. I got 7 comments on my last one. Yes, I AM aware that I made 3 out of the 7 comments. Yes, I AM aware that I did everything short of pay for those 4 comments. Yes, I AM aware that some of the comments accused me of laying guilt on loved ones. And finally, yes I AM aware that this all makes me look pitiful and needy. Well I say embrace your inner pitiful and needy child. Own and Acknowledge. Own and Acknowledge to all the World. Own and Acknoweldge to all the World on the Internet. (insert smiley face here...I haven't the slightest clue how to do it....)
I went to church today for the Easter Celebration. There was some ward choir-ing going on. When Tim was alive, and there was a really bad musical number in Sacrament meeting, (too much vabrato, too loud, too screetchy.....too off key....you get it...) Tim would give me the fickle finger.
For those of you over 40, you surely remember the show 'Laugh-In' (it was all the rage in the 70's ...Goldie Hawn used to dance around in a tiny bikini after someone had painted flowers and paisleys and little sayings like 'far out' all over her body and the camera would focus in on, say, her belly button and you would watch her belly button (that was the center of a daisy) gi-rate around.) ANYWAY, on Laugh-In they gave out this award for really bad jokes or songs or talents and it was called the Fickle Finger of Fate Award. The award was a trophy thingey that had a bronze hand with the index finger pointing outward. So in Sacrament meeting, when there was a really really really bad (ok, lets be honest here....also the mildly bad) musical number Tim would not say a word, but he would look at me, raise an eyebrow, and ever so slowly lift his hand up, (where no one but me could see it) in the fickle finger formation. I would giggle every time. He would sit there with a halo shining around his head and I would come off like a really bad woman.
I'm still a really bad woman. Today I gave the Fickle Finger of Fate award to no one in particular, and I've got to say, giggling on my part was involved.

6 comments:

Dehner Family said...

I gotta say - I am really looking forward to reading your blog. I'm even adding you to my family list! I'll just be sure not to have any liquids in my mouth :)

By the way - to make a smiley face you make the eyes first ; for a wink, : for regular eyes and then you add the end of the parentheses for the mouth )
And poof :) you have a smiley face. If you want to get really cleaver you can add a line - for the nose :-)

Amber Dehner

Kurt & Shawn said...

Well, we here in "Thee Ohio" love the blog, Mary, and plan on reading it daily if necessary to get a good chuckle. I have been known to read the same blogs twice a day for a good 'chuckle fix'. Oh that Tim, he was a tricky guy and it is fun having those inside jokes with the loved one. Keep on bloggin and I will keep on readin!!!! sister Shawn, the Powell, Ohio parish

tgar said...

You and Caren have had seen the subtle genius of the Garlock humor that was honed in front of our TV in the dim light of a leaky basement, while cracking walnuts. I miss my boy.

MOMMACITA said...

tgar, two yes's. first yes is happy: Caren and I HAVE experienced AND been tutored in the sublte genius. Lucky Us. And the second yes is an alas: While we miss our Timotee, he has at his feet your Bobbin for Apples, and no doubt is filling him with stories of walnut cracking, homemade grape juice, and eating popcorn one kernel at a time.

MOMMACITA said...

Not to forget you Amber. Thanks for the smiley face info.:-) or :) if you prefer.

And Shawn, I looked at Amber's blog and saw the bedecked in Easter grandkids...O MY! Nice genepool I must say. They are precious cargo. I wanted to become your grandchild, in the worstest of ways

Shalyse said...

I just just imagine it right now...you giggling to yourself. That means it was a REALLY bad musical number! :-)Cute story!