Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Best Little Non Graduation Ever, or Bitter Much?

My Mother-in-law dug out her guilt stick and has beaten me senseless with it every chance she gets because I have not posted since the Olympic season. What is there to blog about when Bob Costas is not a fixture in your life? Like, I mean, C'mons

Hey. Have you ever noticed that BLOG and BRAG are spelled almost the same?


Cue:
"Pomp and Circumstance." Played by the high school band. With the brass section a little off key. And it's pouring down rain because it always pours down rain for graduation.


Enter:
One of your Children. In a graduation robe. With a DOCTOR hood on it. It's one of your children, filing into an auditorium, that is stuffy and hot, but you don't care because your son is wearing a graduation robe with one of those DOCTOR thingies on it that only people who study really really hard and become DOCTORS get to wear.


Feel:
The magic. Because you birthed that DOCTOR who is filing in down there, you birthed that DOCTOR waiting to get his diploma. You birthed him, and raised him, and made him stop sassing you, and you feel the wonder of it all. How could this be, you ask honestly? He finally made something of himself if it was the last thing he did.

Magicmagicmagic you keep hearing someone whisper in your ear....


Hear:
The sound of the record needle screech (for those you that can remember the sound of a record needle screech.)

For those who were born after 1982, a record needle screeching symbolizes my little graduation scenario careening off the road, down the cliff, rolling head over tail, bouncing off rocks and splatting upside down in the deepest part of the ocean. With no survivors. You have just heard the sound of no survivors.


Enter:
Reality. There is no graduation ceremony. There is no music. There is no robe. There is no robe with a fancy smancy hood on it. There is no magic. There is no waving wildly from the stuffy bleacher hoping people will click their tongues and say wow, did she really raise that smart DOCTOR type because he looks like he might have been a sassy pants in his day? Wowzers She's AMAZING!!

OK. OK. In all reality there IS a diploma. And there IS a DOCTOR. But because of some dumb opportunity in some dumb other state, and because they had to be there by June 21st, someone robbed their mommacita of the glory that is only derived in a stuffy bleacher. So instead I bring to you, (my mother-in-law, my only reader left):


.


The Final Teeth Cleaning:
(please, out of respect, hum the Pomp song)



.


First, instead of a cap and gown and hoodie, we have scrubs that have been washed 1000s of times filing down the aisle, bearing a smile and searching the crowd for the woman who made it all possible by letting him cement 2 gold crowns in her mouth.






.

Next we have the putting on of the ceramonial final-teeth-cleaning rubber gloves. Almost as good as a Dr. Hood but only if this is all you get.


.

Next, we have a close up, of the million dollar specs that won't likely be needed in the world of Orthodontia. Sassy Pants Payback.

.

Seriously

.

What mommacita would be worth her salt if she hadn't taken a picture of herself, in her son's dental chair, with his hands in HER mouth? Can you believe how on point I am? If the people in the bleachers only knew about me. And my nostrils.

.

My feet in my own sassy son's dental chair. Gloria, you might not be able to tell, but my shoes are purple patent leather.

.

Final proceedure in dental school: all done. ALL DONE ALLDONEALLDONEALLDONE.

.

The graduate next to us was jealous that Dubers has such a wonderful mother.

.

Last paper work of dental school.

You'd think you'd get a ceremony when that happens.

.

My Chair Hair, and My Finger. Which by the way has nothing to do with the accomplishments of the graduate.

.

I found this on the counter in Duber's new kitchen. It is mail, received in his new state. You might have noticed the DOCTOR by his name. It's real baby, it's real

.
(You might also have noticed that this is a bill. Cue: self righteous little harumph)

10 comments:

jtibs said...

I love your shoes- very cute. And it should mean a lot coming from me (not really) because I'm going to be selling shoes again this summer from a store known for its beautiful shoes- Nordies. Still, yours are cute.

JuJu said...

Well, congrats on the crowns and the doctor!
And the purple patent leather shoes!

Daisha said...

Congratulations indeed! I think Ortho will be a much happier place for him. Do you plan to get braces on your already beautiful teeth just so David can continue to be your doc?! Braces are beautiful ya know. Have fun with all your grandbabies on your travels this summer.

Shelby said...

oh i wish my mom could be my patient but A) she hates the dentist and B) she lives far far away :) I am enjoying my summer break but starting in august I'll start prying on poor innocent friends to let me clean their teeth :) And then in May I'll be done and definately go to my graduation :) You're a great mom!

Beth said...

Congratulations to the Dubers and to you Mommacita for a mouth of now-healthy teeth. I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures.

Mikaela said...

There must be something about dental school graduation . . . a certain dentist I know who has been my dentist all my life is still talking about missing his great wonderful graduation too, then he starts talking about retirement and remember when stories. Congrats to David and great job mommacita!

leigh said...

Awe, Dental School David is no more. Single tear.
You are a good mommacita for sitting in his chair for countless hours. (I'll be sure to bring that up at reunions if he ever puts his sassy pants back on.)

[AnnieR] said...

I don't know what I'm more excited about--a Dr. Dubers or finally a post from this freaking blog.

YAY!

And YAY! for purple patent leather shoes. As my auntie would say, "it's the cutes." Fo reals, yo.

Debbie said...

You have every right to be proud!

cb bugbug said...

Kinda right there with Annie on which is more exciting. I did know that D was graduating and flitting off to the midwest, but I had no idea we'd get a blog post about it!!! Double YAY!
I'm happy for David to be done and impressed that he excelled in such a tough field and that he got a great opportunity in said midwest, etc and I'm happy for your clean teeth, but what I'm most impressed with is how good you looked in a picture that could have been horrendous - the birdseye view with your mouth open. You wore eye make up to the dentist and he's your son!!!
You are WAY fancy.
Are you a model? (other than for your own blog)? You could be you know. You should send your portfolio to that school David graduated from and make a little side money or at least free teeth cleanings.
So glad to know that one can blog remotely. I'm sure there will be tales to tell and pictures to post on your tour of loved ones. DO IT!
And I must point out, but not in an effort to rub in your absence, how darling and sweet your granddaughters are here in our household. Precious!!!