Friday, March 22, 2013

Portlandia

A few Saturdays back I participated in the Rose City Yarn Crawl.  I wrote this blog right after.  I have put off cleaning up the writing and possibly uploading a pic or two for over a month.  Maybe the pressure of the weekly blog was good for me.  I am not looking for your input here. Let's just all admit it was good for me but we will agree not to go back to the weekly thing because I heart no pressure.

Anyway...

The Rose City Yarn Crawl is not an athletic event.  I would feel more accomplished if it was.  It is a bunch of various types of Northwest women moving very slowly (because they have to finger everything) from  yarn shop to yarn shop.  And this is how it goes:

Groups of said various types of women (and a man or two in a skirt) shuffle in and out of said yarn shops and pick up yarn and cuddle it in the crooks of their necks and coo to it.  Occasionally a squeal is heard when someone finds a particularly perfectly dyed batch of yarn or something soft and yummy that has no itch factor, or a pattern of something wonderful they've never seen before that is in their skill level. ( My skill level is not very high just in case you were wondering because I have just started knitting and I learned off of YouTube.  I have watched several Knitting With Judy's.)

 After the cuddling and the cooing and the squealing have run their course, the groups of various types of women (and the men in the skirts because after all we ARE in Portland where the dream of the 90's is alive,) find the end of the purchasing line.  Said line very nearly  ALWAYS runs through the entry way, the door, and spills out onto the sidewalk where there are even more men in skirts.  Not that there's anything thing wrong with that. 

For those of you who have never been to a yarn crawl (....or is it spelled krawl?....I'm almost certain the universe would dictate it.....) these are the categories of the various types of women you might encounter:

1.  Women who are over 50 and may or may not need someone to flank them on either side while they walk to the store from their parking spot because there are gigantic tree roots under the sidewalks in the Alberta District that might cause a plummeting of someone over 50 that wears Danskos.  Some people are very caring. 

2.  Women who are under 50.  Way under.  Their funky monkey skirts swish back and forth as they walk effortlessly along as if there is a way cool sound track rolling in the background.    One woman had an awesome striped swishy earthy skirt that sadly I would be too old for.  If only I were that artsy earthy Eugeney Grandma and I weighed in the lower hundreds and people thought my daughter and I were sisters with her being the older one.

sigh. 

3.  Women who look like they shop at Macys.

4.  Women who look like they shop out of Grandma's closet who once shopped at Macy's about a hundred fifty years ago.

5.  Women who wear their hair very very short.  With color vibrant and varied in nature. Bear in mind that asymmetry is a must.

6.  Women who wear their hair very very permed.  With hardly any color at all.

7.  Women who wear their hair just right because they all go to the same hairdresser.

8.  Women who bathe regularly.  I'm talking every day when they get up in the morning before they go to anything such as a Yarn Crawl or Krawl in the Rose City. 

9.  Women (and the dudes in the skirts) who have defied their mothers and replace a daily grooming schedule with a daily never groom schedule.  . Their hair stinks I might add, because my nose is just about the height of every ones scalp and I noticed, yes I did.  I may or may not have made a face. 

While the diversity of said various types of women was apparent, especially on the southeast side of the river, I found it quite heartening that I shared a love for fiber, color, and the ways we can fuse them together with people who weren't my age, my shoe size, my religion, my life experience, my income bracket or my grooming schedule. Weird.  So so Weird.

I like knowing I did my part on that sunny sunny Saturday to Keep Portland Weird.

In case you're wondering, you and I are the only two people I know who aren't weird.

 






And, as they say,  I'm a little worried about you.


4 comments:

CarrieM said...

Always love when you post. Especially if you're referencing Portlandia.

shawn dehner said...

I would Krawl with you anywhere!!

Mikaela said...

sounds awesome!!! Especially since we only have one yarn shop. read this as saying- no competition equals ridiculously high prices with ridiculously low selection.

[AnnieR] said...

I would go to a yarn krawl in a hot second. I would nuzzle and sing lullabies to that yarn, too. It's a good thing that Vegas doesn't have a yarn krawl or else I would turn into a nuzzling lullaby yarn cooer. And I'm not telling which of the hygiene schedules I would be categorized under. But you could probably guess. Sorry.

And I'm glad we're on the same page about blogging. No pressure are my middle names. But man, do I enjoy it when you do blog. You're my favorite.