Monday, May 25, 2009

Getting Real

Memorial Day.

I tried to give you a chance.

Today was a beautiful blue sky day, perfect temperature, and gentle breeze. I had just been to my parent's house. There they had a basement full of Mums...every color imaginable. They had been purchased and nurtured to be placed on an abundance of graves, to honor those who had gone before: Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Sisters, and always a little arrangement for an infant daughter, my only sister. I grew up with this tradition. Every memorial day, our parents took us to the cemetery before we'd get together with cousins. It was the ultimate day of family, past and present.

When I got married, this tradition was erased. Tim's dad had died when he was 8. We never visited his grave, except for one time when we had only 2 kids left at home. That visit was on a beautiful day like today. The view was spectacular. At the time, I didn't understand Tim's way, but I was more than willing to go to the beach or the mountains or Grandma's for a Bar-B-Que whenever memorial day rolled around. I would have been willing to visit graves too, however, since he didn't seem to want to, I was more than happy to oblige.

This would probably be a good time to let you in on the fact that I have hardly ever visited Tim's grave. It might be for a number of reasons. The first time I went was a few days after his funeral. It was the grayest, rainiest, windiest, coldest, most horrible day ever. The grass on top of the grave was dead, and the funeral flowers on top of that were shriveled and dead as well. It took about two seconds for me to draw no less than two thousand parallels.

Another reason might be that I hate the marker. Tim insisted on the cheapest one. I would do it differently now if I could. Another reason is that I don't know what to do once I'm there. Where do I walk? Where do I stand? It is so awkward. Should I speak? Where do I look? If I look to the left I see the headstone of that girl that died 2 years ago on her prom night. Her parents spared no expense: there are at least 15 pictures of her engraved in the granite. To the right I see 3 siblings, younger than eight. More pictures of someones babies they had to let go of.

So when I got home from my trip last night, I noticed that 1 lone Calla lily had reached its peak in my front yard. I decided to take it and lay it on our headstone. (yes, ours, my name is on it, which maybe is another reason I can't get the visiting thing down.). This morning I cut the lily, giving it a big long stem, I brought it inside and tied a bow of white tulle about a quarter of the way down. I put it in water and drove it to the cemetery. I was going to pay my respects like all the other grown ups out there.

Even on a blue sky day, with perfect temperature, and a gentle breeze, and even after 5 1/2 years, I still do not like the cemetery. I left sad.

For me, if I want to talk to Tim, or feel him near, I go to one of our Church's Temples, for it is there I am reminded of the eternal nature of each soul, and the possibility of a forever family. When I go there, I always leave with hope, and gratitude, and a heart that is full of love for a Savior that would make it possible for Tim and I to be together again. There is no sadness in a Temple. I can always count on that.
.

.
.
Memorial Day, I gave you a shot. Tomorrow, I visit the Temple.
.

7 comments:

Dehner Family said...

I don't really know what to say except that I really enjoyed this post. I agree that the temple would be the best place to go when wanting to feel close to Tim. You are great.

Charlene said...

I feel a bit of your pain - I lost my dad about seven years ago, and it still hurts. He's buried a few states away, so I can't visit his grave on Memorial Day or other time.

I agree with you, the temple is the best place to feel closer to the spirit of those already departed, and to feel the love our Savior has for us, especially that we can be reunited with those already on the other side.

I also gain comfort in my children - one who looks a lot like my dad, and the other who has my dad's ear shape on one of her tiny ears. My mom thinks Dad sent her with it as a reminder of him! It's sad they won't get to meet their grandpa in this life, but I can tell them lots and lots of stories of his life, his sense of humor, things he liked and did. And, that gives me comfort.

Debbie said...

I like that---Memorial Day should at the temple----that's where the true remembering happens. You are one happening Mommacita and I wish you happy memories on for this Memorial week! We have happy memories of Tim and his laugh!!

JuJu said...

I think that each person does things differently, with respect to grief. Whatever you do for you is the right thing.

and, I love the lily.

[AnnieR] said...

You should submit this post to some sort of magazine. I don't know what magazine exactly (The Ensign? Something other than the Ensign? But what?)but I just have this urge to have the whole world read this post and feel what I felt as I read this. Big sigh. Filled with all sorts of feelings...

Steverino said...

A beautiful post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Well said Mommacita. That's what memorial means, remembering, and at the Temple you really do see the "big picture". Tim was smiling at you on that day and knows you will absolutely be together again as a family. Great, great comfort in that. Love you sis.